Located in the Bagaces canton, the Guanacaste Wind Farm (PEG) has 55 wind turbines and installed capacity of 49.5 MW. The Power Plant was classified as Clean Development Mechanism registration by the United Nations. Thus they can issue carbon offsets (Certified Emissions Reductions) for a period of ten years.
- Fifty-five 900 kW Enercon E-44 turbines.
- Total Capacity: 49.5 MW.
- Power purchase agreement: Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) model for 20 years with the ICE.
- EPK Contract (operation, maintenance and guarantee) signed with Enercon for 11 years...
- Estimated load factor: 53%.
- Estimated annual generation: 245 GWh, which can supply power to approximately 70,000 homes.
- EPG will prevent the emission of an estimated 95,225 tons of CO2 per year.
- The plant achieved ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 certification in July 2011, demonstrating its pursuit of environmental and occupational safety in the workplace.
- In May 2014, the Guanacaste Wind Farm received the Blue Flag Ecological Program award in the climate change category.